Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fall is upon us...


100_0053
Originally uploaded by mlochk22@
I find it somewhat ironic that my birthday just happens to be in the fall when, as I get older, I begin to contemplate the "fall" of my life. Good thing I don't think too hard about this subject, because I could seriously get depressed, considering my birthday falls just right.

Today, in fact, I turned thirty.

A whole new decade in which to learn things.

What have I learned so far?

Not to be such a bitch to those you love, because they can, and sometimes will, leave you to find their own path in their lives. And yes, that has happened to me. And I'm getting more okay about that everyday. Somedays are harder than others though.

You can't change any body, only they can change themselves. Yt another hard learned lesson, but one that worked out beautifully in the end.

Don't be a perfectionist. It only hurts you and everyone around you. If you run around "fixing" everything some else took the time and energy (and love, presumably) to do for you, don't go behind them because it's not done the way "you" want it done. Plus, it stops them from wanting to do anything for you ever again. And we won't even get into what it does to your heart and stress levels! Plus, for some of us, it stops us dead in our tracks and keeps us from doing anything at all! The best fix I've found for this is www.flylady.net : trust me, it's worth it!

Take time for you. I'm very busy in my life right now, with school, work, child, marriage, trying to keep some friendships going, etc. I still have to take time for me. So, I picked back up my embroidery, found my crochet hooks, got some yarn, picked up knitting needles and began to do stuff that I truly enjoy. Best site for those of us who are truly yarn addicted: www.ravelry.com . Best wait for a website invite, EVER!! And if you're not into that, do what you are into. It's worth it for you and for those around you.

Don't ever follow the pack. It's too easy to get sucked into something you may not truly believe in by doing that. And that includes everything from politics to religion. I am forging my own independent path in those areas, and encouraging my son to do the same. You should too.

I'm sure there is much more that I could wax poetic about, but why bother? Everyone takes something different out of their own life experiences.

As for the pic: I love fall, it's my favorite time of the year. And I especially love the variety of pumpkins and gourds that you can get this time of the year. These pumpkins were at the Dutch Bakery Amish store in Tipton, Missouri. I love going down there whenever possible, you never know what they might have!

No comments: